Sunday, September 3, 2017

Creation Station: Stampin' ABCs


#stampinup   #faithfulinkspirations   #creationstation   Can you believe it's September already? Time has really been flying by! Maybe because I've been doing so much traveling for work AND to take my twins to the first year of college! We drove from Maryland to Minnesota to see Grandma and attend a wedding. And then we drove from Minnesota to Arkansas to move our kiddos into their dorms at Harding University. And then my husband and I drove back home to Maryland. Whew! Thirteen states in fifteen days! And then I left for a business trip three days after we got home! What was I thinking?!

It's quiet around the house now (and surprisingly free from clutter and dirty dishes and clothes), but I'm a little nostalgic watching the moms with younger kids who are just entering kindergarten this year. September is back-to-school time and the Creation Station team is going to be schooling you on some stampin' ABCs this time by showing you some fun things to try!

My first card is a variation on the Black Magic Technique. I just kept playing around and I ended up with something I call Black Magic Galactic Technique! It's an easy technique but it takes some time to do--not one to try if you need a card in a hurry.

I started by stamping the large flower from the "Rose Wonder" set in Craft Whisper White Ink onto a 3-7/8" by 5" Basic Black panel. I stamped a sentiment from this set in Versamark, added some White Stampin' Emboss Powder, and heat set it. While I was at it, I also heat set the craft ink.

 
Next, I colored in the flower with a Whisper White Watercolor Pencil. You need to lay down a LOT of color for this technique. I left just a little bit of black around the edges so that the image would show through.


Once I'd colored the entire image in White Watercolor Pencil, I started adding the other colors. I used Old Olive on the leaves and a combination of Melon Mambo and Real Red on the rose.

Next, I used a damp aqua painter to blend the colors. I heat set the image and then colored again. You can layer on as many colors as you like, but you either need to wait until the image is dry, or if you have no patience like me, use your Heat Tool to dry the image.. I also colored the rose with Clear Wink of Stella--that acts like an Aqua Painter with glitter!

I sharpened the Whisper White Watercolor Pencil and then outlined the leaves and flowers so they'd pop. Finally, I put a squirt of Craft Whisper White Reinker onto an acrylic block, picked up a bit with my Aqua Painter, and flicked it onto the image--thus, adding the galactic effect!

Once everything was dry, I adhered the stamped panel to a 4" by 5-1/4" Whisper White mat and then onto a Melon Mambo Card Stock card base, cut diagonally.

On the inside, I stamped a sentiment from the "Rose Wonder" set in Basic Black Archival Ink onto a 3-3/4" by 5" piece of Whisper White Card Stock. I stamped the leaf image in Old Olive right on the sentiment, stamping off once, so that it would be more subtle.

OK. So that was fun and all, but perhaps you're thinking, "Ain't nobody got time for that." What if you're looking for a fun and fast technique? Well, I've got just the thing! This one is called Frosted Impressions. It's so easy!

I started with a 2" by 5" piece of Window Sheet, which I ran through the Big Shot with the Hexagons embossing folder. Then I took a sanding block and gently sanded the debossed images. (I know Stampin' Up doesn't sell these sanding blocks any more, but I swear my manicurist uses one just like this, so I'll bet you can pick one up at a beauty supply store! Actually, search "white sanding block" on Google and you'll see it!)

Then I embossed one side of a piece 3-3/4" by 5" piece of Old Olive Card Stock with the Hexagons embossing folder and adhered the embossed window sheet to the smooth side with a few strategically placed Glue Dots. I adhered this to a 3-7/8" by 5-1/8" Basic Black mat, tied a length of Basic Black Shimmer Ribbon around, and then adhered it to a Thick Whisper White Card Stock card base, cut lengthwise.
I stamped a sentiment from the "All Things Thanks" stamp set in Old Olive onto an Old Olive piece of Color Theory Designer Series Paper and cut it out with one of the Layering Ovals Framelits. I cut an Old Olive scalloped oval from the same set of framelits. I adhered the sentiment to the card with Stampin' Dimensionals.

Easy-peasy, right?! I'm excited to see what the Creation Station Design Team has been up to! Click on the "next" or "back" button to start your journey around the blog hop! See you next month!










https://denitawright.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/abcs-creation-station-design-team-blog.html

Product List
Heat Tool
[129053
$30.00




Product List
Glue Dots
[103683]
$5.25

5 comments:

  1. These cards are super nice. Love the Galactic effect on Black Magic. I love the embossed window sheet--why do I never think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the techniques you've used. You're cards are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great techniques, Kathy. I love the colouring of the rose onto Black cardstock - something I would like to try. D xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow such amazing techniques...I haven't tried my pencils yet but now I now what to do with them....thanks so much

    ReplyDelete